A Meerkat Safari at Buffelsdrift Game Lodge in South Africa will bring you up close to these impressive animals. Meerkats are also referred to as the Suricate and are known to be part of the Mongoose family. They are small foraging mammals usually found inhabiting the harsh conditions of the open and arid, semi-desert plains in Southern Africa. A trained ranger leads the safari experience, taking you to the Meerkat burrows. On the way to the burrows, you can usually spot some of the 22 species of wildlife on the reserve. As there are dangerous animals like Buffalo and Hippo around, guests are required to remain in the vehicle while waiting for the Meerkats to emerge at the break of dawn. The ranger will provide incredible insights into all the interesting facts and behaviours of Meerkats throughout the experience.
- SEASONS AND TIMES
- These are wild habituated Meerkats and will not be touched or handled by humans, including the ranger.
- The distance from the Meerkats and the guests will at all times be determined by the ranger and respected by the guests.
- Maximum of 16 guests per vehicle.
- Maximum of 2 vehicles per day.
- No children under the age of eight years.
- Advanced bookings only.
Winter Times: Daily from ±07:30 weather permitting (duration ± 1-2 hours)
Summer Times: Daily from ±05:30 weather permitting (duration ± 1-2 hours)